Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Week 9 EOC: Personal Freedom vs. Union Membership

Being a prior service member of the Unites States military I have had the experience of being required to be a part of their union in order to be a part of the organization. At the time that I was being enlisted I didn’t mind doing so because it gave me many opportunities that I would not have previously been exposed to and experienced by any other means. I felt that any way that I could get on board with this organization was the best thing for me to do so that I could take my life in a better direction than I would have had I staying in my situation from that moment. It was an experience none the less. The good, the bad, and the ugly. In some ways I enjoyed the privileges of being a part of this organization. Visiting new places, learning new skills, and the feeling of being a real part of a bigger entity than yourself having its perks and down falls. On the other hand I had slowly come to realize a lot of the personal freedoms that I let go of when I signed on the dotted line. Sometimes I miss the camaraderie that I felt at the time. Going through the same issues successes with those around you. The ups and downs that we experienced often pushed us closer together as a team as well as friends and individuals. Even if you didn’t care for certain people, you still had a better idea of where how they felt and where they were coming from in their views on the world. Some things that took place benefited us, while there were other things that took place in which I did not agree, but had to go along with them anyway. I’m glad I had the experience, but some of the things that I didn’t agree with resulted in me finishing my term looking for other opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment