Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Week 10 EOC: Up in the Air

In viewing this movie I was shocked to see this in action. I have always felt that this should be done by the people the person works directly under. When it is done in a style of a chain of command, it only seems natural that this should happen because the person is next in line on the chopping block should anything go wrong. It isn’t always a good way to handle this issue, but it is more understandable should it be deemed necessary. In the movie I was surprised that they appointed a single person to do this. Seeing all those firing experiences being put together in one person’s day showed how someone can have a skewed view of the good and bad points of a termination. It also showed how desensitized a person can become to the effects on the lives of the individuals. In the movie they brought up the points of the fired employee being able to seek new opportunities in their fields or in other fields. They also brought up the fact they the people being fires could use the time in a way that is more beneficial, or more to their liking. Even though someone may feel as though they are happy or doing well in the field that they currently hold, it might not be the best situation for the employer or the best fit for the organization. He also recommended making use of this time to reflect and retrain themselves with new and other skills. I have been let go before and I new that there were other employees that would keep going back to them to be rehired, but I felt that I was not worth my time to be bothered with an organization that did not value my work ethic and integrity. It worked out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment