Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Week 10 BOC: Getting Fired

As a freelancer in the cosmetic industry, you bounce around a lot from job to job, company to company. When I began my venture as a freelancer I started out working as a perfume girl at the age of sixteen. This was the first legal job that I had done considering the fact that I had previously worked any job that I could since I was 13 years old. The pay was amazing to me at the time as I was earning fifteen dollars per hour standing in the middle of a store, handing out pieces of paper that smelled good. I felt like a flower girl handing out flowers to random people, it was a nice change of pace for me as I had always worked harder for my pay. At any rate, this led me to other opportunities later in life as I had already had the experience in my background which led me to the position that I currently hold today. The only bad experience that I had ever had with the many companies that I had worked with was with a smaller company that took me out of my normal element and took me to work at different types of locations than what I was been accustomed. I really felt more like a sales person in that position than any other that I had previously held. Never the less, I accepted the opportunity and did the best job that I know how, working hours that constantly changed while being expected to push products to people. I new something was strange because usually during a few months out of the year, most cosmetic companies seize freelancing because of the season. This one didn’t but still expected me to keep the same numbers. I obviously wasn’t able to do that because the season was slow and the expectations were high. After handing in my sales invoice, I was terminated via email. At first I felt bad, then realized that I was probably better off because the management should have known better than to set me up to fail. My reputation was untarnished as I have established my working ethics in this community being offered much bigger and better thing since this occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment